Subject: Re: AUTOTRACKING IN ROCKBOX

Re: AUTOTRACKING IN ROCKBOX

From: perterm <perterm_at_vce.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:50:35 +0100

David Pedersen wrote:

> There is an unvoiced item at the end of recording-settings menu.
> Guess that is the one we are looking for. But is this just an ON/OFF
choice? And could it be voiced?

The trigger setup screen can not be voiced easily. It contains many
parameters of the trigger that can hardly be adjusted without feedback
on the behaviour of the trigger. Thus the trigger setup screen heavily
relies on the peak meter and other widgets to simulate and visualize the
trigger behaviour. Since those widgets need input (playback or
recording) the jukebox audio engine is already "occupied" can not be
used for voice menus at the same time.

What could be done is:
1.) Voice when in stop mode. In the current implementation the jukebox
automatically switches from stop mode to recording mode when entering
the trigger settings screen. That is a convenience feature we could toss
in order to free the audio engine for voided trigger setup screen. You still
could use the external audio source by entering the trigger setup from the
recording screen.

2.) Temporarily pass control to voice menus. Whenever a setting has just
be changed we also could temporarily disable playback / recording until
the changed setting has been changed. I discourage this behaviour as it
interrupts the trigger simulation. Especially with long time settings
that would be very annoying.

I don't have the time (and other priorities if I had time for rockbox)
to implement that in the near future.

Phil