Subject: Re: Voices

Re: Voices

From: Christi Alice Scarborough <christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:24:53 +0000

Neon John wrote:

>I don't think I'd want to take on the whole project if the list is
>that large, especially since I don't use or have any interest in voice
>files but I'd be willing to do some, maybe a third. Perhaps 2-3 other
>volunteers could come forward and we could divide up the project.
>
>Breaking a stream into individual files and removing the quiet time
>would not be difficult. There are several utilities that will do
>that, especially if you left 2-3 seconds of quiet between each phrase.
>What's left? Normalizing the level, maybe a little dynamic range
>compression, probably. Converting to the correct file names. What
>else.

I did try splitting automatically. I couldn't get it to work
adequately, although my recording setup was less than ideal, resulating
in what people will remember at the time as being quite noisy
recordings. Other than that, it's just a matter of running the voice
file generation tools, which is not too onerous. Don't underestimate
the time that sorting through and renaming 500 odd sample files takes
though. Trust me. I've done it.

Christi