Subject: Iriver H300 bugs

Iriver H300 bugs

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 16:53:09 +1000

Hi all.

I have discovered several rather severe issues with the voice UI on
Iriver H300. I know that some of these are already known, but have
included them here for completeness. (In fact, it's quite possible that
all of them are known, but i haven't seen any reports of some of these
recently in a quick skim of the archives.)

* When the charger is connected, the voice UI attempting to play a clip
will cause Rockbox to crash. To replicate:
1. Plug in the charger at any point.
2. With Rockbox started, access the main menu (A-B) or access the context menu (hold navi).
This began occurring after the H300 charger detection code was
committed.

* If the recording screen is activated and then exited without actually
making a recording, the voice UI will no longer function. I know that
the voice UI cannot function in the recording screen, but I am referring
to the behaviour of the voice UI after exiting the recording screen.
Sometimes, spoken clips will simply sound as a rather strange,
meaningless sound, but playback will still work. Other times, Rockbox's
UI appears to be alive, but no playback is possible and shutdown usually
causes a crash. Note that if rec is pressed to make a recording to disk,
the voice UI behaves fine upon exit. To replicate:
1. Enter the recording screen.
2. Wait a random amount of time. :) I usually wait a few seconds.
3. Press stop to exit.
This does not occur with the voice UI disabled last time I checked.

* Voice clips are not silenced immediately when they should be (e.g.
when moving through a menu or moving through items in the browser). I am
aware that this one is definitely known.

* Voice clips do not speak when playback is paused, even though they can
speak while playback is in progress. Also already known.

* Bits of voice clips which were or should have been spoken previously
are spoken later during playback. Already known.

* Navigating through the sound settings menu accessed from the WPS
context menu does not speak, except for the first item: 'volume'. This
only occurred recently, I suspect after the new PCM buffer code was
committed. I also noticed a change regarding reducing latency while
changing dsp settings, so perhaps it is this? <shrugs> To replicate:
1. Play an audio file.
2. Hold navi to enter the WPS context menu.
3. Press navi to enter sound settings.
4. Move up and down with the cursor. Observe the lack of speech.
Also, pressing stop to
exit the menu results in one of the clips that should have spoken being
spoken.

Other miscellaneous bugs I have noticed that I may as well report while
I'm at it. Same disclaimer as above.

* Playback and voice UI cease to function after leaving USB mode. I
checked this with voice UI disabled as well and observed the same
behaviour.

* When skipping through ogg vorbis audio files with the left and right
cursor keys, the first fraction of a second of audio on some tracks
appears to be skipped. I can't seem to replicate this on every skip, but
skipping through some ogg vorbis tracks relatively quickly will
replicate the problem quickly enough. This began occurring some time
around 20 Jan when a lot of code was committed regarding playback.

Wo! That's it for now, I think. :)

Thanks for all the great work. I hope to be able to contribute at some
point rather than just reporting bugs. :)

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email: jamie_at_jantrid.net