Subject: Re: Iriver file formats

Re: Iriver file formats

From: Jochen Schulz <ml_at_well-adjusted.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:50:17 +0100

Nigel Gardner:

> I ripped several CD's onto my Iriver via Windows Media Player before
> realising that the default format was set to 'Windows Media Audio' rather
> than 'Mp3'. I can not play these files with Rockbox although I can using
> the Iriver firmware. Is there a plugin or anyway to allow Rockbox to play
> these files?

No and it is not possible (at least not without a considerable risk to
get sued and technical hassle). Microsoft doesn't want anyone to use
their formats without their blessing. Classical "vendor lock-in". The
best thing you can do is to re-rip and encode to more open formats like
MP3 (although it is patented, too) or Ogg Vorbis (completely free, but
many players don't support it -- Rockbox does, of course.)

J.
--
When I am at nightclubs I enjoy looking at other people and assessing
their imagined problems.