Subject: Ratings

Ratings

From: Brent Coutts <c0utta_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:28:23 +1030

Hi guys,

All my ID3 tags are rated on a scale of 0 255 using the Popularimeter tag
(POPM) although for practical purposes the ratings are 0 (not rated), 51
(1), 102 (2), 153 (3), 204 (4), 255 (5). I then use a VB application to read
the ID3s and create a playlist which creates 1 5 entries for MP3 in the
playlist. A rating 1 will appear once, and a rating 5 will appear 5 times.
This works well and allows me to listen to songs I like more often than
those I dont.

Since I may have multiple entries per MP3, Ive now hit the 20000 barrier in
playlists and I was wondering if there was any other way to achieve my ends
i.e. my higher rating songs get played more often.

Ive done enough maths at Uni to understand the Mersenne Twister, but I
cant see that this can be modified to have one entry per MP3 but allow the
rating to influence the frequency sort of defeats the purpose of the whole
concept of the Twister anyway.

Will I chew up too much memory if I run my own build of Rockbox and increase
the maximum playlist size to 50000 ? Are there any other ways that people
can think of?

Cheers,

c0utta

Ever wanted to be a TV Stylist? Win Your Dream Job at MyCareer
http://dreamjob.mycareer.com.au/?s_cid=213322