Subject: Re: Rockbox Weirdness

Re: Rockbox Weirdness

From: Tom Cole <tcole_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:01:37 +1300

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:10:31 +0100 (MET), "[IDC]Dragon"
<idc-dragon_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>> should
>> >
>> >Can you please make a patch from your changes/additions?
>> >
>> The patch would be for the 2.5 version only, as that is the I am using.
>> It is quite extensive! Would that be of any use?
>
>I haven't seen your patch, don't know which modules it touches and how much
>they have changed meanwhile. Certainly a patch against current cvs is
>preferable.
>Why is it extensive, does it have to be? Can you make it less intrusive, if
>this is more clean? A patch should only be for one certain feature, not for
>everything you ever wanted to change in Rockbox while at it.
>If you'd want to see your work permanently in rockbox, please make it easy
>for us.

The voice enhancements to the Recent Bookmarks screen are built on my
previous display and usability enhancements. It would seem strange for
the blind users to get more information than the sighted people!

I don't see any point in upgrading my patches to work with the current
CVS as the CVS is changing so rapidly at present. I generate the
patches, they languish in the patch tracker and become way out of date,
as do so many others.

I would have to upgrade my compile environment to use the full cygwin,
instead of Bluechip's Devkit (thanks, Bluechip!). I don't want to do
this upgrade at present.

As there seems to be a question as to whether the current CVS would
generate an efficiently sized Archos Rockbox I would want to wait until
the next official release. Hopefully the Archos Recorder V1 charging
problems will have been sorted out by then.

I am looking for a place to make available for download my changed
version (for free, preferably), so that others can comment on it. No
luck so far!

Tom