Subject: Re: Any sound enhancements on rockbox?

Re: Any sound enhancements on rockbox?

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:12:20 +0100 (MET)

> SRS/WOW are patented or something by a third party. Without paying them
> a large chunk of money, it'd probably be very difficult to get a license
> to use it, and even WITH the money, it'd be impossible to GPL it, which
> is a requirement.

Is that really a problem? If license fees apply, they have been payed by
Iriver already.
If something is patented, it is published, not a secret any more.
My guess is that GPL and patents don't conflict. In the various MPEG
standards, there are lots of patents and still public code exists. You have
to pay fees to the MPEG pool if you make a product from it, pay royalties
per piece. In our case, the product is already there, the fees must have
been taken care of by Iriver.

Jörg