Subject: Re: Auto-pausing

Re: Auto-pausing

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 02:07:44 -0400

I have that same problem and have been thinking along the same lines.
I think that your first idea of a 'dead man's switch' is probably the
most workable. I've worked through several different scenarios using
bookmarks but none seem as useable as the dead man's switch.

I just thought of an alternative that probably wouldn't require any
programming. This would involve a power cord with a momentary-contact
switch in it that you have to keep pressed. Put the player in "car
mode" so that it'll turn off when the external power is removed.

When you wake up, just turn car mode off and resume. Or turn
auto-bookmarking on the night before and restart at the bookmark.

You could even rig up a power strip with a momentary contact switch in
place of the rocker switch. That way you could kill the JBR and the
lights!

John

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 01:50:05 -0400, "David Pedersen"
<dav-ped_at_frisurf.no> wrote:

>Hi, list!
>Don't know, if this is something anyone but me would find of interest. I am
>using my Archoes - among other things - for listening to audiobooks.
>Unfortunately, somketimes while the book is plying, I fall asleep. The
>Jukebox, on the other hand, does not... And when I wake up, I find it hard
>to refind the spot where I dropped out. Guess this scenario is nothing
>unknown for most of us, who read books the audible way.
>
>When using the old tape recorders for listening to the audobooks, I know
>some people found it useful to have a switch that they kept in their hand,
>and when falling asleep they released this power switch, causing the player
>to stop. I found it complicated to have to sit with a switch in my hand, all
>the time. But my idea was, if it would be posible to have RB stop playing
>automatically after a user defined periode of time, i.e 2 minutes, and
>waiting for the user to press the play button, so as to continue. Or would
>it be posible for rockbox, in the case where the user put it in
>AudioBook-mode (could be an on/off function in the menu), to automatically
>bookmark every this or that many minutes. That way, the user could go thru
>the bookmarklist, and find the spot he last rememberd listening to.

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson