Subject: Hold Button Clearing Settings

Hold Button Clearing Settings

From: Lukas Sabota <punkrockguy318_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:13:29 -0400

Hello!,
    This is my first post to the list, I hope to become more involved
with the rockbox community! I have chatted with some friendly
developers on IRC, and have even written a couple patches! I'd also
like to thank the contributors for a great job on this project! It's a
really nice piece of software! But, I have a suggestion for
improvement.
    Currently, if the hold button is enabled when boot up occurs, the
settings of the device will be cleared. This seems like a great idea,
but there is an occasion where it is quite annoying. Take this case for
example:
Your device is on hold.
You plug your device in to your PC to put new music on it.
You eject and remove your device.
Your device restarts.
Your device is still on hold.
Rockbox informs you that "All your settings have been cleared".

This behavior needs to be fixed somehow. I am proposing two possible
solutions:
A: Rather then checking for the hold button, check for another button.
Perhaps Fast Forward?
B: Instead of automatically clearing the settings, perhaps asking the
user? Ie: "Press MENU to clear all settings. Press SELECT to continue
without clearing settings"

These are just two possible solutions, there many be many more intuitive
ones. Before I start doing any patch writing, I'd like to get the
opinions from the rest of the developers. Does anyone have any
thoughts/suggestions on this?

God bless,
Lukas