Subject: feedback on voice UI changes

feedback on voice UI changes

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:57:04 +1000

Hi all, particularly Brandon,

Thanks for the much needed and very nice work on the voice UI. A few
notes and questions:
* Not sure whether this was intentional, but the 'voice UI crash while
connected to charger bug' appears to be fixed!
* The dropping of audio playback to a lower volume (a.k.a. ducking)
appears to be removed for the present. I assume this will return when
you get a chance to implement it again?
* The voice UI no longer appears to read a whole stack of unrelated
clips for no apparent reason. Sometimes, it used to start reading
numbers, letters and other clips when in various settings screens, but
this doesn't appear to be happening now. Nice!
* I know you mentioned there was little chance of voice while playback
is paused in a previous message, but another work around was suggested.
Is this work around likely, even if it is conditional on whether a voice
file is loaded, or is this not something you are willing to consider at
this point?
* Currently, voice clips still don't shut up when they should; e.g.
moving to another menu item while the current voice clip is playing
doesn't silence the current clip. I estimate that the delay before the
first clip is silenced correctly is just under 4 seconds. Is this likely
to be fixed or not in the near future?

Thanks once again for the great work.

Jamie

--