Subject: Re: Etimotic

Re: Etimotic

From: Erik Slagter <erik_at_slagter.name>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 11:46:21 +0200

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 20:11 -0600, Rocker wrote:
> Just wanted to thank you all for your cool opinions and advice. Still not
> sure if I will pull the trigger on the ER4S.

BTW anyone experience with the Shure E3c? I bought a set of these a few
months ago and I was soooo disappointed. I have been using Sony
MDR-888's for a few years and was always quite happy with them, clear
sound, flat response, the only thing is that the l/r balance seems to go
off a bit after some time, don't ask me how, I had this with two sets...

So now I bought these Shures (comparable to the Etimotics, according to
the specs) and I am not using them anymore, at all. First the frequency
response doesn't come anywhere near what I was used to (both low and
high) (I am not talking "hyperbass" etc. just a normal, dull, flat
response), it's difficult to get them in and out but the worst (and this
is something the Etimotics don't seem to suffer from), the leads are
more than twice as thick as the Sony's and therefore also weigh quite a
bit. You can feel the wires pull your ears all of the time. You cannot
apply the plugs as described (wire over your ear-shell) because the wire
is far too stiff for that, it won't stick there. Also because the wires
are so stiff, any wind blowing will catch the wires and pull the plugs
(half) out. Oh BTW, I did allow the plugs to get "worn-in", I connected
them to the computer and had them play for 3x24x7 hours at high volume.
No change.

A disaster.

  • application/x-pkcs7-signature attachment: smime.p7s