Subject: RE: Etimotic

RE: Etimotic

From: Rick Alfaro <rick.alfaro_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:34:21 -0400

Hi Rocker.

For what it is worth, here is my opinion on the Etymotics.

Originally, I had the 4s and I can tell you that you absolutely need some
sort of headphone amp for these to sound the way they are supposed to. They
are very high impedance and really need power for them sound good. They
sound absolutely beautiful with amplification. Without the amp, they sound
terrible in my opinion. I then decided to turn them into the 4p which I did
by sending them back to Etymotic. For a charge of $60, the changed the
impedance on them and made them the 4p which according to what I had read in
many forums, worked a lot better with portable devices and required less
power. They do a little better now as 4p's, in my humble opinion, they
still need an amp or a device with some good output to really sound good.
The sound very good on my Archos Recorder but I have to give it plenty of
bass boost, and I am not a bass head. I typically like a nice balanced
sound, but without the bass boost, or adjusting the bass directly in
RockBox, they still sound very anemic to me. Good luck with them though and
hopefully, you will get the sound you expected from them. If not, consider
a small headphone amp as this will make all the difference in the world and
will bring these back to life and give you truly outstanding sound.

--Best regards,

--Rick Alfaro
--rick.alfaro_at_comcast.net