Subject: Re: questions on rockbox

Re: questions on rockbox

From: Thom Johansen <thomj_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 00:06:19 +0200

Matt Karlgaard wrote:

> I have an iPod 60GB photo. I love the hardware and use it every day.
> As an electrical engineer, I get frustrated at the lack of
> customizability of the ipod. I am considering dumping the apple
> firmware for Rockbox. I have a couple concerns though:

There's no need to dump it, the two can coexist.

> 1. I saw AAC files are not 100% functional (I have 160kbps AAC files
> on my iPod). What does this mean for me?

It means that you can't play most AAC files properly yet.

> 2. Is the power consumption issue fixed yet? How much faster will my
> batteries drain (as a %) than with apple firmware? When will this
> issue be fixed?

The batteries will probably drain a good deal quicker. I can't remember
current
numbers right now. I think they'll drain at least twice as fast.

> 3. Can I re-install the apple firmware without any problems if i
> decide I don't like something about the rockbox firmware?

Sure, like I've said, the two can coexist peacefully, and Rockbox can be
uninstalled anyway.

> Also, I am new to this mailing list thing. Will I get an email every
> time someone replies to this post? I did see where the posts get put
> on rockbox.org <http://rockbox.org>.

You'll get all replies and all other traffic as well. Welcome on the list!

Thom