Subject: RE: Does rockbox run better on X5 or Ipod?

RE: Does rockbox run better on X5 or Ipod?

From: Raquel Gomez <rgomez_at_gigo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 05:41:39 -0700

Michael E. DiFebbo writes:
I haven't used the X5, but based on my experience with Rockbox on the iriver
H100 and on the iPod, I suspect that blind users would find the joystick on
X5 easier to use than the clickwheel on the iPod.

Not necessarily; not anymore... The wheel on the iPod is awesome now, and
as a totally blind user, I can tell you that the only reason I have any
Iriver and Archos units left at all anymore is because they support the
recording feature, and once the iPod is capable of recording, I'll get rid
of all of my other units in a second. This is just one person's opinion,
but I for one like the fact that the iPod is completely flat, and far easier
to stick in your pocket without concern for protecting the joystick/other
buttons on the face of the player. I can just lock it and go, and it's so
low-profile and easy to carry. Once the speech was stable and tracked well
with the wheel, I became an enthusiastic convert, and would hate to ever
have to go back to the previous interfaces found on the other players.
Again, it's just me, but if you're a blind user, I recommend getting your
hands on a unit and testing it to determine what your own personal
preferences might be, even if you have to buy one and take it back within
the allotted 15 or 30 days, or whatever it is. Even if Rockbox is not
completely stable on a given platform, test it out and use it; it is the
only way you will be able to ascertain which one you truly prefer.

The iPod rocks! All you devs. are wonderful, keep up the excellent work!!

Raqi