Subject: Re: Gain

Re: Gain

From: Simon Eigeldinger <simon.eigeldinger_at_vol.at>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 06:46:44 +0200

Hi Thom,

On 6 Jun 2006 at 15:53, Thom Johansen wrote:

> Simon Eigeldinger wrote:
> > Hello,
> > My hardware is iRiver H 340.
> >
> > I have a electred condenser stereo microphone and the sound is to
> > low.
> > Is that because the it hasn't any plugin power?
> > Can the gain be much higher than it is now? Because when I have the
> > gain at it's highest it would be often good if I can have more gain
> > because the signal I get is low.
> > Or have I to connect a preamp to the recorder?
> >

> Electret condenser mics do not need phantom power, but
> some of them do require pre-amps to get a decent output level,
> so things seem to point towards you needing to use a pre-amp.

Thank you. I thought also like that. Does someone know a good pre amp
to use with the iriver?
I have to get a second mic too. Because it is not convenient to hold
the mic in the hand all the time.

> It is technically possible for us to apply more recording gain
> in software, but it will be digital gain, and won't sound very
> good if you need much of it.

Yes. And I think I miss some bass in my recordings. maybe that's
because I haven't got a pre amp currently.

Thank you for help.

Simon