Subject: changes to voice files

changes to voice files

From: alex wallis <wallis_at_andrelouis.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 00:23:57 +0100

hi list.
i've been a bit busy of late and so haven't kepped an eye on the list and
keeping rockbox up to date.
i've just been on the rockbox website to update rockbox and i see the speech
files have changed according to it what exactly has been done to them?
secondly what is this hovering thing all about some kind of option to only
voice things while hovering i think.
also is it me or is the speech buggy? several times while going thru the
menus in different places using the read US english voice it jus suddenly
went mad and started reading loads and loads of stuff not even in the menus
all about battery type, then it started saying different units of time and
then it began to recite the alphabet does anyone no if this is a bug with
speech generally or the voice file in particular.
also could someone fill me in why have the naturally speaking voices been
removed? i liked paul he was a nice clear voice.
personally and i no everyones going to be shooting me down over this one but
its my oppinion so ile state it. who cares if we officially aren't allowed
to use the naturally speaking voices i mean who ran and told the
manufacturer for starters. what they don't no can't hert them, and i'm sure
they make quite a bit of money as i think its scansoft that actually makes
them so its not as if we are ripping off some developer who is blind and
sells the voices for a living which would be morally wrong.
and if we are questioning issues of legality here i'm sure that all the
other manufacturers of voices would have something to say about there voices
being used and in fact i bet if you asked them iriver would say that they
wern't happy about there firmware being patched or people using that BDM
wiggler thing to find out about the skimatics of the player.
just my thoughts.
alex.