Subject: Re: AW: Wiki definitely dead ?????????

Re: AW: Wiki definitely dead ?????????

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:59:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Valentin wrote:

> Can't you integrate a PHP-based encryption system into the homepage? Or even
> a login system which gives access for registered users like in the forum,
> but with a second, additional password.

People repeatedly keep suggesting that we either make it harder to create
users or that we change to another software package.

The facts here are:

1) the majority of these spammers are true humans (believe it or not) and they
have/can provide valid email addresses and they can read text in images or
whatever weird prevention system we can invent. I'm personally favouring a
system where we MANUALLY will have to approve new users to have the allowed to
edit anything, as then we can check users before they get it and we can easily
reject future users from certain areas/domains/IPs/countries/parts of the
world or whatever.

2) changing software package is not the solution as the problem in this latter
case was not directly twiki itself but rather the combination of what we had
configed twiki to allow and how we had apache setup. And its not that other
software packages don't have issues too.