Subject: Re: work on HTML Manual (was: Rockbox Manual)

Re: work on HTML Manual (was: Rockbox Manual)

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:24:47 +0200

On 7/18/06, Kitson Kelly <kitson_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> The command I am running is "OBJDIR=~/manual_build ARCHOS=h1xx VERSION=2_5
> make" and all I get is the .pdf. I also tried to check out again and no
> files were updated.

I guess this is caused because you're using the generated Makefile,
which sets LATEX=pdflatex to run. I usually "configure" it similar to
building rockbox itself (i.e., mkdir manual-build && cd manual-build
&& ../tools/configure, then choose manual) and override the LATEX
variable by running "make -e LATEX=latex". Another option that's
working for me is to simply run make (which generates a pdf), then "cd
manual" and running latex (htlatex resp.) on rockbox-build.tex (this I
actually did to find the error in the first place, now I switched to
"make -e LATEX=htlatex" as it is working). HTH.

> > This seems to be related to why the DVI might not have been generated:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.tetex.general/1197
> I am not a LaTeX expert...

This exactly was the cause. I've been using that snippet for years, it
gets recommended on a lot of places -- but when searching I haven't
found that explanation. Nice to know, thanks.

 - Dominik