Subject: Re: AC3 files not playing from where they stopped

Re: AC3 files not playing from where they stopped

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:43:53 -0400

Hi Brandon,

I simply rip the audio off DVD's.

Being blind, the visual component doesn't help much, so I don't miss
it. When I'm too lazy or can't wait to listen to the DVD, I just
extract the AC3 audio stream I want, dump it onto the player and
listen away. However, normally I will transcode the AC3 into mp3 or
ogg format (which are significantly smaller files).

I find using Rockbox on my jukebox with a portable amp and decent
headphones to listen to DVD audio is much nicer than fighting with
the awful user interfaces in programs like PowerDVD. Plus I'm not
tied to the computer.

Pressed DVD's use the A52 encoding standard which is better known as
AC3. AC3 generally contains 5.1 channels, 5 for centre, front left,
front right, rear left and rear right speakers, plus a .1 derived
from the other 5 for feeding to a subwofer. The AC3 codec in Rockbox
takes all 5.1 channels and downmixes them to two stereo channels on
the fly. Very cool indeed.

Hth,
Andrew.