Subject: Re: issues with ipod

Re: issues with ipod

From: Michael DiFebbo <medifebbo_at_rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:30:26 -0400

Rob Powell wrote:
> Hi all, Could I try a question I asked the other day again please?
> I've read in the ipod FAQ that there are problems with playing back
> files on the ipod that have a high bit rate. Fine but what the max
> bit-rate that will play properly? I could then convert the files to a
> lower bit-rate once copied to the ipod.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

I have not yet found an mp3 that will not play back on my iPod Video.
As the FAQ states, certain functions of Rockbox may cause glitches. If
you have trouble with MP3 playback, you can try the following:

1. Turn off the EQ.
2. Turn off other processing like ReplayGain.
3. Use a simple WPS. The more frequently the WPS needs to be updated,
the more likely it is to cause glitches in playback, so things like
peakmeters, scrolling titles, etc. may cause problems.

I've found that you can often eliminate skipping and glitches simply by
keeping Rockbox in the file browser or in a menu while playing music so
that the WPS doesn't need to be updated at all. In fact, if I do this,
I can use the parametric equalizer with very few (if any) glitches in
playback.

Playback problems will be reduced as Rockbox is optimized for the iPod.
Given that fact and the fact that you can use the workarounds listed
above for the time being, if I were you, I would not bother to transcode
files to a lower bitrate.

Mike