Subject: Re: 80 GB IPod

Re: 80 GB IPod

From: Michael DiFebbo <medifebbo_at_rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:55:09 -0400

Sarai wrote:
> Hey guys,
> Will Rockbox work on the new 80 GB Ipod?

I am always amazed at how quickly Rockbox development can proceed at
times. However, considering that this product was announced just hours
ago and is not yet on the market, surely it is asking too much even of
the talented developers of Rockbox to have support for it before it even
becomes available to the public.

The CNET write-up that you attached indicates that there have been some
changes from the existing iPod, such as increased battery life, a
brighter screen, and gapless playback. (Sadly, but not surprisingly,
Mr. Kim neglects to mention that gapless playback is already available
on the iPod and other platforms with Rockbox.) So, it is probably safe
to assume that Rockbox will not work on the new iPod immediately, but
that it will take some effort to adopt. I'm sure that will happen at
some point, probably sooner rather than later, but it's difficult to
tell what will be involved before the player itself is even available.

Michael E. DiFebbo

http://www.jumpcityjazz.com