Subject: Re: alarm

Re: alarm

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 07:54:39 -0500

Oh please. A PC clock is going to be accurate enough for you to set it to
wake up in the morning. It's not going to drift enough to make you late for
work overnight, and neither is the clock on your MP3 player. It's not that
thard to glance at it before setting the alarm, just to make sure it's
accurate.

As for the headphones thing, I can attest for having fallen asleep many
times both with earbuds and "portable" headphones (Sennheiser PX100s).
Though my problem is that if I fall asleep while listening to *any* noise,
noise won't wake me. Unrelated to this though.

I think it might be a good idea to abstract the alarm concept just a little
bit more, so that on non-RTC targets you could say "X hours and X minutes
from now" so that even without an actual clock you could still set a
moderately reliable alarm. As long as it hits within 10 minutes of the mark,
you'd be fine (just always set it 10 minutes earlier than necessary,
assuming that horrible a degree of accuracy, you can live without that last
20 minutes of sleep if it happens to slide in the wrong direction, right?)