Subject: Re: Shutting down/startup voicing wanted?

Re: Shutting down/startup voicing wanted?

From: Jonas H <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 15:44:47 +0200

David Pedersen wrote:
> Or, simply let RB include a standard MP3 clip, which would be played
> when RB first is installed. Actually, two mp3-clips would have been the
> perfect:
> 1. RockBox is ready
> 2. Shutting down RockBox.
> For example. They could have been named STARTUP.mp3 and SHUTDOWN.mp3, or
> the like, and be located somewhere on the unit under the RB folder.

I think it's a decent idea to allow the user to customize the startup
and shutdown sounds (and shouldn't add much code in those two places).
This would also allow people who are not using the voice UI to have
startup and shutdown sounds - I bet some people would like that.

I personally don't think Rockbox should ship with default sounds at all
though (if you're not using the voice UI, you generally do not want
audible feedback), and I still think that the events should be part of
the voice file as a fallback, if the startup or shutdown sound is
missing, simply speaking "Shutting down" and "Rockbox ready" or
something like that.

--
Jonas H
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk