Subject: FM Recorder Replacement

FM Recorder Replacement

From: Joel Blaiberg <joel_at_blaiberg.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:17:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

My trusty FM Recorder is on its last legs and I'm looking for a suitable
replacement - preferably one that runs Rockbox. To that end, I am
soliciting opinions on the newer models that now run Rockbox.

Here are the features I am most interested in:
Unit appears as a removable hard drive - I do not want to have to install
iTunes, WMP or the like to feed the plaer with music. I just want to be
able to drag and drop folders as I do now.
Rock-solid MP3 support (both CBR and VBR of all bitrates) - other codecs
are nice-to-have but not necessary
Video playback (especially of DivX and XviD) a bonus
I typically listen to one album all the way through and then move to the
next one, so random play, searching, bookmarking etc. are not necessary
features to me
I'm lucky to be sighted so I probably won't use a 'speaking' function all
the time but it may be nice for car journeys etc.

Any opinions greatly received - I looked to see if there was a comparison
doc on the wiki but there doesn't seem to be. A

Oh, also, does Rockbox on the iPod play videos yet? If not, can I still
use the native firmware to play videos and do I then need iTunes to
transfer the files to the player?

Cheers

Joel