Subject: Re: Blind user has iPod questions

Re: Blind user has iPod questions

From: Peter Herngaard <pethern_at_email.dk>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 01:50:27 +0200

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Woody Anna Dresner
  To: Rockbox
  Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:41 PM

  Hi Scott,

  At 03:48 AM 10/3/2006, you wrote:

    installation of iTunes is not required to install Rockbox. I successfully
    installed RB on both my Nano and Video without it.

  Very interesting. Did you have to run any iPod software at all, or did you simply install Rockbox on a brand new iPod out of the box? I thought the software and iTunes were necessary to ensure the iPod was formatted for Windows and that disk use was turned on.

  No, you don't have to install Itunes on an Ipod Nano (First generation, Ipod Video first generation) in order to prepare your device for use with Rockbox.
  The computer simply treats the Ipod as a new logical drive relying on the standard Windows XP driver to facilitate access to the FAT filesystem.
  As far I know from bitter experience, the Itunes interface is simply not accessible with JAWS, and the installer is so awful that you even can't enter the serial number. Perhaps Brian Hartgen's JAWS scripts solve the installation problem, but I haven't tested themm. I don't have any significant amount of DRM content necessitating using the Apple firmware
  or Itunes for that matter.
  I haven't tested the installer for Itunes 7.0 so the entering serial number problem might have been solved.