Subject: A 60GB 4G/Color iPod!!!

A 60GB 4G/Color iPod!!!

From: Mark <discardedswimwear_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 21:38:38 +0100

Some of you might have read my previous email on the problems I was having
installing Rockbox on a 5G Video iPod.
A symptom of the problem was the bootpartition file read by ipodpatcher was
only 40MB, when it should have been 112MB for a 5G Video iPod.
And it definitely was a 5G iPod because it had a 60GB hard drive, and I
bought it from the Apple store.
Well, I said "definitely", and I'm one of those people who gets suspicious
when I hear other folks saying words like that... so I thought I'd
investigate further.
One of the reasons for my suspicion was that the iPod in question was
actually a refurbished iPod bought from the Apple store as a trade-in for a
damaged 5G iPod. I was told that it was a 5G iPod though, but it seemed
like ipodpatcher was telling me something else.

To cut to the chase, I've installed the Rockbox boot loader and firmware for
the 4G/Color iPod, simply based on the fact that the size of the
bootpartition from ipodpatcher matched this model.
And guess what !
Rockbox works now!

So, it appears that I have an Apple-sourced 60GB 4G/Color iPod!

Anyway, that's good news for me, but I wonder if the installation WIKI
and/or manuals ought to at least mention the fact that hard drive size is
*not* necessarily the correct way to determine the correct iPod model.
Given that my assumption was based on the output from the ipodpatcher, might
it be possible to modify ipodpatcher to display the "real" correct iPod
model, based on bootpartition size and probably some other data? I know
this might seem like a fairly rare situation, but with the ever increasing
number of iPod models, I reckon this might be a problem that might increase
as Apple tries to offload 'old' refurbished 5G models.

Mark