Subject: Re: Archos frustrations

Re: Archos frustrations

From: Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 01:16:39 +0200

On 10/5/06, Erin M. Chaves <em_chalet_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Tom Cole writes:
> >Erin
>
> We have had two Archos V1 recorders in our family. Mine still works
> fine, but my wife's had problems with the buttons sometimes being
> mis-read by the software. For instance the Up button would sometimes act
> as though F1, F2, or F3 had been pushed (usually F2), and other buttons
> sometimes acted weirdly as well. This sounds like it might be your problem -
> You press Up, but it takes you into the F2 menu and subsequent key presses
> change the F2 options.
>
> Tom,
>
> I think that could be it! :-) I'll definitely give your build a go. Thank
> you for the info.
> Let me clarify one thing I said earlier.
> Quoting myself here:
> Sometimes the settings would change by themselves. This would happen while
> I was pressing either the up/down or the previous/next buttons. I would
> always know when something wasn't right, because I couldn't
> change the volume, change the track, or even pause until I stopped the unit.
>
> What I meant to say was, I can't change the volume or change the track until
> I stop the playing of the current file. I've never had to completely turn
> off the unit. It certainly seems like I could be in some kind of menu, for
> I must press stop exactly twice to end the playing of the file. I'll let
> you all know how it goes. Have a great weekend!
>
> Erin

Hi,

I've had the rather mechanical problem that by pressing the up-key
actually the F2 was pressed as well. One could hear it by paying
attention to a faint double click instead of a single click. You are
then in the not voiced quick menus on F2 or F3 (the three buttons at
the bottom of the screen).
I think this explains the problem pretty well.
The quick menus give quick access to settings like file view, shuffle,
repeat and some visual settings (specially the "upside down" may
confuse you).
Inside of this screen, all repeat-choices are cycled with "right" and
all file view modes with "down" for example.
The quick menus are usually quit by the key they have been entered.
In the current build, they cannot be quit with F2 or F3, but I am very
sure this was the case in version 2.5
In the current build they can be quit with "off", but I am not sure
this was the case with older builds.

~lImbus