Subject: Re: Sandisk Sansa e200

Re: Sandisk Sansa e200

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 12:18:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Brandon Hicks wrote:

PLEASE don't start a new thread by replying to another. Create a new mail!
You even decided to quote a whole chunk of totally unrelated stuff in your
mail which is another etiquette violation.

> I'm checking out a sansa E200, and I saw on some forums that rockbox support
> was being done, and Sandisk was actually helping with the development. Any
> more word on this, current progress, anything?

First, Sandisk is not really helping out. They've donated two players and a
devboard with a JTAG cable attached but nothing more. I've asked a whole range
of questions to them that they've just ignored.

Basically, some marketting guy thought Rockbox support would be cool and sent
off a few players our way, but they had no intentions of providing any docs or
hints whatsoever on how to hack the things.

Our progress on this player is done like all other Rockbox ports: PCB
scanning, reverse engineering, dissassembling, testing etc etc.

The Sansa e200 is different than all current PortalPlayer-based ports we have
since it uses a PP5024 that has no ATA and the LCD interface is also somewhat
different.

We know the file format (mi4) and we can generate (modified) firmwares that
the player will accept and run, but the Rockbox port is still far away.