Subject: more on battery charging issues via USB on H340

more on battery charging issues via USB on H340

From: Mat Mirabella <mathew.mirabella_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:33:01 +1000

Hi all.

Ok well now I am finding that my Iriver H340 will not charge via USB
at all. This is the case no matter wether the battery is flat or not.
 then the battery is still charged enough to use the unit but i want
to charge via USB, it goes into "connect" mode no matter whether i
hold REC or not. SO perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Can someone post the correct instructions for how you force the H340
into charge mode via USB? I want to know how this is meant to be done
so I can be sure I am not doing the wrong thing. Does rockbox itself
have anything to do with USB charging? I used to charge this device
via USB but always with the Iriver "Charging" logo, which suggests
that it was operating inside the Iriver firmware, not rockbox.

I wonder if it is charging via USB when you see the message "Booting
USB mode" in rockbox...
If I insert the USB cable into the player on starting it up but do not
hold REC down long enough to cause it to boot into the Iriver
firmware, i do get a rockbox message that sits in the centre of the
screen saying "Booting USB mode". That message sits on the screen,
nothing else happens, and the unit does not connect to the PC in the
usual way via USB. Does this mean it is charging via USB at that
stage? If so, the message is not very informative.

Any thoughts on this? I wonder... should I be posting my battery
charging queries to the rockbox dev list rather than the user list?
(considering that perhaps I am also asking for something to be added
to the manual on how to actually use the battery charging options....
and also perhaps options in rockbox to set the unit to force into USB
charge vs force into connect mode etc.).

Mat.