Subject: Bookmarks on the iriver 320

Bookmarks on the iriver 320

From: Paul Hopewell <hopewell_at_hopewell.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:28:54 +0100

Hello,
I am visually impaired and am thus delighted with the speech functions of
Rockbox. I have my iriver 320 set up to speak menus and to speak folder and
file names created by running voice box on my PC. This all works very well.
I have several audio books on the iriver. Some books are just one or two
large MP3 files created by processing audible formats using Goldwave. I have
stored all of these in a single folder called $audible. Other audio books
are ripped off CDs and here a book comprises a folder containing quite a few
smaller MP3 files.
I like to alternate my reading between several audio books. I thus want to
use the rockbox bookmark functions to remember my place in each audio book
so that I can return to where I stopped reading each time I swithch to a
different audio book.
I am currently running with the playlist option resume yes, which causes the
iriver to start playing where it left off on the most recent power off. I
would like to retain that function.
I have read the rockbox manual section on bookmarks, but am uncertain which
options to choose. As i cannot see the iriver display screen I don't think
that I can use the list of most recent bookmarks (MRB) function, as the list
will not speak. Is that correct?
I would ideally like to save one bookmark per folder, and have play resume
at that bookmark (track plus position within track) when I next open that
folder. If I could do that I would put each audible book in its own folder.
Is this possible and if so which bookmark options should I set?
Failing that I would like to save one bookmark per file, and have play
resume at that bookmark the next time I open that file. Is this possible and
if so which bookmark options should I set?
I note that you can have up to 10 bookmarks per file, and that you can set
play to start at the most recent bookmark for that file. what happens if I
save a new bookmark at stop time for a file which already has 10 saved
bookmarks? Is the olderst bookmark removed from the .mark file to make room
for the new bookmark?
In short wich bookmark options and corresponding usage procedures would you
recommend?
Many thanks for your help.

Paul Hopewell
hopewell_at_hopewell.org.uk