Subject: Re: Make voices script

Re: Make voices script

From: ScottLearned <SLearned_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:14:47 -0700

Hamish Mackenzie wrote:

Hi All
I have now managed to make voice files using the Australian scansoft TTS but
have one further question. Is there somewhere in the script that controls
the speed and volume of the clips that are made as I cant seem to find it.
I know there is a place to change the speed in the speech area of the
control panel and if this in turn changes the speed of the voice then that
sorts out one problem but where do I adjust the volume? I know this can be
achieved by modifying the script in the other vbs file that is used to voice
folder and file names but I cant seem to find it in the script to create the
english.voice file.

thanks as always

Hamish

Hi Hamish,
Yes, speed of the voice file is changed in the control panel under speech.
If you want to change the volume, you would change it in the makevoices.vbs
script.

snip-snip

Scale the input volume by <factor. The factor 0.6 is recommended. Higher
values make the voice UI louder, lower values make it more quiet. Don't use
values1, or the voice will probably get distorted.

For instance, I changed the volume to 07 for my VF.

MakeVoiceFile "english", "ScanSoft Karen_Full_22kHz", SPSF_22kHz16BitMono,
190, "-V 5 -B 64 --resample 22 --scale 0.7 --vbr-new -t -S"

You can find out more about building and tweaking voice files at:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/VoiceBuilding

HtH

Scott