Subject: RE: Media Enquiry

RE: Media Enquiry

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:55:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Ian Macrae wrote:

> I'm currently looking at a recently released personal DAB/FM radio and MP3
> player from a company called oono. The product's name is the MiniDAB. In
> all its modes and functions the unit relies entirely on visual menus.
> However, I was wondering whether Rockbox could be installed on it. Is there
> something which makes a product particularly suitable for or compatible with
> Rockbox?

Rockbox only runs on the models to which it has already been crafted to run
on. We mention the currently supported models first on the rockbox web site
front page.

Making it run on new targets is a lot of work for every new model and not
something that is easily done by anyone. Unless of course the new model is
only a very minor variation of an already supported player.

There is some progress on ports to other players, but we can't estimate when
they are mature enough to be counted as "working" or even be sure that they
ever will be.

I've not heard nor seen anyone mention any Rockbox work for the Oono MiniDAB,
not even any early research work. Don't hold your breath! ;-)