Subject: Best hardware choice for a new user?

Best hardware choice for a new user?

From: cy tune <cytune_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:48:33 -0500

I imagine this is an unpopular question, but what would you recommend if you
were buying a new music player? I'm looking for something with 10-40GB
storage that's reasonably small. I don't care much about the interface and
I prefer a monochrome screen to keep the price down.

I've looked at the status pages but it's not easy to see the difference.
There's not an uniform checklist for where each port is at. I scanned the
forums and mailing lists and didn't see anything conclusive within the past
couple months.

I saw back in September, a developer said an Iriver H1x0 is a better
alternative than an iPod unless you want a color display. Is that still
true now and does that imply that the Iriver H1x0 is the best choice
overall?

I have a Cowon player now and it has been nothing but trouble. I only
purchased it because it had ogg vorbis support (which was broken horribly
out of the box). Now that I found rockbox, I'd like to find a more reliable
manufacturer.