Subject: Re: Sound Quality Settings

Re: Sound Quality Settings

From: Thom Johansen <thomj_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:00:55 +0100

Rich De Steno wrote:
> I use Rockbox with the voice option. I installed an updated version of
> Rockbox from a few days ago on my Iriver H120 and I noticed some changes
> from my previous version, including a choice of recording bit rates. I
> know that bit rate determines the quality of MP3 files, but I did not
> know that bit rates were associated with WAV files. What was the bit
> rate at before we had a choice? Has the bug been fixed yet relating to
> not being able to stop a recording with the STOP button? Are there any
> plans to allow for recording in the Ogg Vorbis or some other more
> compact format? How about ability to set the clock?

The bit rate for WAVs is decided by the number of bits per sample, the
number of channels and the sample rate. At 44100 Hz sample rate, stereo
and 16 bit samples, the bit rate is 1411 kbps, which is AFAIK the only
bit rate Rockbox has been capable of recording since recording was
included. Right now there's also an option to record mono files, which
would halve the bit rate. Also, as far as I know, you really don't
have a choice now either. The only WAV quality option I can find is
the full quality one.
As for recording in more compact formats, we currently support MP3, which
as you probably know is lossy, and Wavpack (WV) which is a lossless format.
Ogg Vorbis will probably not be supported for a good while thanks to seeming
to need a more powerful CPU than we have in what targets we currently support.
What do you mean about setting the clock? Sample rate? If so, this is something
you can expect seeing in the not too distant future.

Thom