Subject: RE: Iriver H120, SP Dif or optical?

RE: Iriver H120, SP Dif or optical?

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:17:01 -0000

The optical (at least out) of the H1x0 series is very much optical - with
red laser light - audio. I have a special optical cable which has flippable
ends so I can connect my device to both types of optical socket (for e.g. I
have an audio interface for my laptop which uses TOSLink sockets, but my
H140's optical in and out sockets are of course, like on your H120, the
'regular' sockets which accept the mini-toslink 3.5mm jacks). I can't
remember where I got my cable from, I think it was Maplin - see the links
below for a couple of pics. It really is a handy cable.

http://stuff.totallysucks.co.uk/opticalcable-bothends.jpg
http://stuff.totallysucks.co.uk/opticalcable-flippableconnector.jpg

Basically, to swap the ends, you just (gently, no force required) pull the
outer casing away from the cable a bit - in the direction the actual
connector is facing. That brings the other side of the flippable connector
out of its home, and you can just swivel the head around. Let go, it pops
back into place.

You can't just plug coax (SPDIF) into optical, you need some kind of
converter. Of course, that's where some audiophiles get really anal about
what kind of circuity you use, what components... But you can pick up a OPCO
(optical -> coax) or COOP (coax -> optical) converter for around 20 quid.
Examples... OPCO:
http://www.lektropacks.com/view_item.php?product=87&&category=21 , COOP:
http://www.lektropacks.com/view_item.php?product=86&&category=21 . Not
pimping that site or anything in particular, was just the first relevant
result on a Google. Probably end up buying one of both myself, handy little
buggers to have around methinks.