Subject: Re: Wow, linux based DAP!

Re: Wow, linux based DAP!

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:22:07 -0000 (UTC)

Jonas H wrote:
> Jan Müller wrote:
>> there is a short piece on heise today:
>> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/81503
>>
>> It states that the Wizpy will be a linux-based player with a modified
>> version
>> of Turbolinux. It will play MP3, OGG, WMA, AAC, JPEG and DivX and has a
>> fm
>> radio. The player is advertised as an "open source media player".
>>
>> As far as I understand it has a kind of double-boot option (player/pc).
>> The linux distribution on the player features Firefox, Thunderbird,
>> Skype and
>> more. This is accessible if one plugs the player into the pc and boots
>> linux
>> from the player.
>>
>> Clever idea, if the heise piece is accurate.
>
> I've just searched the net, and I still haven't seen any article (except
> possibly that Heise article, my German is rusty) that indicates that the
> player _runs_ Linux. They all seem to agree that Linux is simply
> installed on the flash drive, and can be booted from a PC, which is more
> gimmicky than newsworthy.

An article on The Register also says "Linux-based", but nothing in the
article otherwise suggests it actually RUNS linux, just that it is stored
on the disk as a bootdisk (a la Knoppix et al).

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/23/wizpy_linux_media_player/
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted