Subject: Stylishness of Rockbox GUI

Stylishness of Rockbox GUI

From: Stephan Chudowski <derkuddel_at_ktv-zone.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 00:20:26 +0100

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this list and there are some questions that came up in the
last days I tried Rockbox successfully for the first time. The first
thing I want to say is *Thank you* to all of the devellopers of this
piece of great software out there. This makes my iAudio X5 really
usable the first time. I love to search Music by id3-Tags, a feature,
iAudio Firmware doesn't support. And I love much more features about
it, iAudio doesn't want me to use.
But there is one thing, that makes me wonder: Are there no other ways
to make RockBox look 'chique' than WPS? I reallized, that WPS is a
possebility to make the interface of the player in 'playing mode'
stylish in any kind I like, okay, but what about the menues? What
about Fonts? Okay, there are some shipped in the fonts-Package, but
hey - has never anybody reallized, that the majority of those are
serife fonts, which are hardly readable on mini-pixel-displays? That
most of them are unnatural small or unnatural large for displays of
MP3-Player-Size? I already found out, that there are ways to export
fonts and to use them in RockBox. But I found no way to make menues
more stylish, more glossy, more 'as a gift for ladies' like, as
noticed in the thread about the perfect gift player ;) No way, if
there are possebilities to use chique icons in the menues. No way, if
there are possebilities of using graphics for the cursor-lines
instead of the simple colored ones.
I would like my girlfriend to use RockBox on her iPod Nano too, she
cries everyday, that it can't play OGGs... But I showed her RockBox
on my iAudio and the result was a little reservedly. She would like
to use it, but she doesn' want the look of it on her iPod and I can
understand her. I know that less can be more, but a little more can
be a little more beautiful sometimes ;)
So: I know that this is an OpenSource Project and i would like to
know, if there is an interest in improving the 'stylishness' of the
RockBox GUI at all. I would like to help at this job in creating
graphics and ideas for a more stylish RockBox GUI. And I would like
to know, what has to be done for this.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen, kind regards,
Stephan Chudowski