Subject: RE: Archos Recorder V1 - Recordings Clipping

RE: Archos Recorder V1 - Recordings Clipping

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:25:28 -0000

Sounds like either the dynamic range of your little microphone or the JBR
isn't working on the same scale as Soundforge.

Dynamic mics that small? Hmm, I'd be a bit dubious of the potential full
range of frequencies you could get from that, though I guess if you're happy
then that's fine.

One thing though - make sure you save the original raw recordings you make,
I've had it in the past (before my recording skills matured to the point
where I realised this) where I've made a recording of something, dolloped
effects, verb, chorus onto it, then months or years later gone back to it
and thought, bloody hell, it sounds awful with all that reverb on, just
completely ruins it - I wish I could notch it down so it was only _just_
perceivable (and I've since learnt that the best applications of reverb are
in situations where you don't notice it), or possibly get rid of it
completely.

So, I always keep a copy of the raw audio alongside any processed versions I
make, too... Hopefully you already learnt to do these kinda things yourself
(it's just common sense really, ain't it) but if I'd saved the original
recordings of some of my earlier stuff it would've made my life a WHOLE load
easier more recently. I sense something about learning the hard way being
said...