Subject: Re: Which iPod?

Re: Which iPod?

From: Tjerk Schuringa <regenpak_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:48:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> The iPod Nano Second generation has drastically different hardware in it.
> From that perspective, it's a whole new MP3 player. They've also added an
> additional hurdle of encrypting its firmware.
[snip]

<rant mode>
I recently purchased one of those nice shiny iSnots. I found out what a mistake
that was when I discovered it wouldn't play nearly as loud as my cheapo Korean
player nor could I select "Custom" equalizer to avoid digital (!) clipping
which destroyed the audio. Korea: no problemo. Couldn't believe the crappy job
Job's mob did on the firmware. So I sold it on at a massive loss to some poor
sod who couldn't discern distortion even if it hit him squarely in the face
("Can I put my CDs on this thing?" OMFG...)
</rant mode>

But no, as stated above, don't get your hopes too high. As it is purchasing a
G2 nano would be a bad idea. Until Samsung's encryption is reverse engineered
no G2 nano rockbox :-( (also no second sale for Apple...).

T.J.

.