Subject: Re: Blind Zune user needs help!

Re: Blind Zune user needs help!

From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet_at_lwn.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 08:59:05 -0700

Rocker <rocker_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

> If I remember correctly the Zoom is a Microsoft product right? Most open
> source coders do not like Microsoft. It's the principal of the think I
> guess.

To the extent that open source hackers are motivated by feelings about
Microsoft at all, they could only be pleased by the prospect of
replacing Microsoft software on what is supposed to be a fairly nice
hardware platform. What better way to show the advantages of free
software than un-crippling the Zune wireless adapter?

The (much overstated) dislike of Microsoft is irrelevant to the
discussion here. A Rockbox port to a new platform requires information
on how that platform works and developer time to do the work. Once
those are available, somebody may well go for it. But I can't imagine
anybody wanting to provide a timeline for a Zune port now.

jon