Subject: Re: Blind person interested in getting an Ipod with Rockbox

Re: Blind person interested in getting an Ipod with Rockbox

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:32:24 +0100

Pop Eye wrote:
> Would I be able to use the ipod accessories with Rockbox turned off
> with the amount of sight I have, or would those accessories still be
> able to function with Rockbox turned off?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I can say that when you
have installed Rockbox, you will still be able to run the original
firmware. You select which firmware to run when you turn it on.

Rockbox does not yet support any of the iPod accessories.

> I saw the Ipod Nano 2G and fell in love with the 8 gb model. Too bad,
> rockbox only works with the 1G. Does the 1G Nano running rockbox
> have the same features and the same operating procedures as the 5.5G
> 30 gb Video?

Yes and no. The 5.5G Video has a larger screen and more storage. Apart
from that, the features and operation should be the same, to my knowledge.

> If you are finding files to be skipping only on the ipod, but not
> before you transfer them on to the device, are the skips caused by
> files that are damaged while being transfered, or by Rockbox?

The files are not damaged. It is a performance problem. The audio
decoder is unable to decode the audio in real time, so the music pauses
for a second once in a while. This is because the CPU is too busy with
updating the screen and/or applying DSP effects, such as Crossfeed or
Equalizer.

> Should I just wait until the 2G Nano is compatible with Rockbox, or
> is that going to be a very long time?

If you decide to wait for Rockbox support for the 2G Nano, you might
very well wait for ever. As far as I know, nobody is working on it at
the moment.

Linus