Subject: Re: Memory use on iPod 5g 30Gb

Re: Memory use on iPod 5g 30Gb

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:39:06 -0500

Jean-Philippe Monteiro wrote:
> Hi Community
>
> I bought this 30Gb video iPod for my wife three days ago. Both the SuSE93
> workstation & the Ubuntu 6.06 Laptop where reluctant to work with it.

<snip>
> My issue: not enough memory sometimes. Browsing the rockbox web, I found
> patches & discussions, but I don't know for sure if I need to apply the
> patch. The boot-up sequence is pretty fast, but it seems rockbox only use
> 30mb of memory, and runs short for slideshows during music playback (and
> shows low framerate for these low-res video)

A - The 30 GB iPod "video" models only have 32MB of memory, all of which
is used by Rockbox. It is the 60/80 GB models which have 64 MB of memory.
B - That said...RAM in Rockbox is not used as I think you believe it
is. More RAM will not help with video framerates. Most of the iPod's
RAM is used for audio buffering (so the hard drive spins less often) and
the additional 32MB offered by the other models would only increase this
buffer.