Subject: ipod 4g 40Gb won't run, in recovery mode loop - HELP!!!

ipod 4g 40Gb won't run, in recovery mode loop - HELP!!!

From: David B. <dsbhealer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:36:08 -0800 (PST)

I hace a 4th generation ipod 40gb that was in perfect condition. I loaded rockbox version 2.5 for the 4th generation ipod and it worked great. I initialized the database and loaded it to ram and the ipod worked fine.

  Now for the problem. I wanted to load my music directly to the ipod, as if were just any old hard drive. I went into windows explorer (I have windows XP home edition, completely updated) and I deleted all of the folders named with 4 letters in the ipod. I then made a test folder in the root directory of the ipod and copied some mp3's to the folder.

  When I disconnected the ipod, it would not run. It would display the apple logo, then the folder with ! icon and then shut off.

  I assume that I must have deleted some necessary files from the ipod.

  I tried restoring from itunes (the latest version). I tried manual reboot. I tried reformating from windows explorer.

  At one point after trying the restore from itunes, I plugged the ipod into the charger and left it there for a few hours. When I looked at the screen, there was a very large font menu. Apple tech service thinks that this must be a Rockbox menu. The menu had approx. 6 items.
The first was "The 5 R's" which I tried. Another was "reset" which I tried. I have not bee able to get back to this menu after having done another restore from itunes.

  I know that this is a software issue. This may include a flashware issue. When looking at the ipod from windows explorer no files appear in the drive (I have explorer set to show hidden files).

  What do I do?????

  David B.
  dsbhealer_at_yahoo.com