Subject: Re: ipod 4g 40Gb won't run, in recovery mode loop - HELP!!!

Re: ipod 4g 40Gb won't run, in recovery mode loop - HELP!!!

From: Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:09:32 +0700

Weird indeed.

If you properly followed the Rockbox install guide, you should have backups
of the original firmware.

-Go to the section in the manual, just before the one describing how to
install Rockbox Bootloader, that give you the instruction on Backup for Apple
firmware: this will give you the name of the file you must look for,

here:
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipod4gray/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-60002
chapter 7 & 8

-Find this file on your computer,

-Use the command-line instruction that tells you how to upload rockbox
firmware, and use it to re-upload the apple firmware instead.

something around
ipodpatcher N -w bootpartition.bin

where -w option instructs to upload to iPod, as opposite to -n that download
to the computer.
where bootpartition.bin is the name of apple firmware booter, as opposite to
bootloader-ipod4g.bin from Rockbox !Check name with file on your HDD!

N stands for assigned Drive Number of your Pod by Windows.
Look in chapter 5

-Find a friend with a 4g iPod, & copy & paste all folder structure from his to
yours with View Hidden File enabled (Or go to your local iPod Shop, if
they're nice, they should allow you to do this).

Notes:
1) The original firmwares' download address for all versions of iPods are
available on the rockbox forums, look for
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=8423.0
where I received assistance regarding backups, repair, original firmware, how
to copy them & so on.
2) Double check instructions in the manual, I run a Linux Box so do not have
direct experience on XP.
3)Load battery & follow instructions in chapter 5,6,7 !

--Basically, what I suggest is use Rockox Install Tool to recover/upload
original stuff to the Pod. I recommend you leave the Rockbox install for
after a successful recovery--

[sorry I can't give no actual samples from this computer: My wife's away with
both the Laptop with the manual and her iPod :) ]

Jean-Philippe
[Peacepunk on the Rockbox Forums, iPod 5g 30gb. Apple firware unused, Pod
rockboxed from the very first day]

--
SuSE93 Linux Kernell 2.6.11.4-21.14 KDE 3.4.0 Kontact 1.1 Kmail 1.8
PHNOM PENH - CAMBODIA