Subject: h340 ogg freezes

h340 ogg freezes

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:23:56 -0000 (UTC)

I've been seeing this issue for a while now, but put it down to a failing
battery. After replacing the battery with a 2200mah ipod battery, I'm
still seeing the same issues, so thought I would post here to see if
anybody else is seeing this, as I haven't seen any reports.

I used to use mp3 files, but decided to have a go with ogg to see how it
went. Very impressed with sound quality to file size ratio when compared
against mp3. All ogg files are transcoded from original high quality mp3
files using lame to decode to wav, then oggenc, under linux.

I never saw these issues playing mp3, but have now been having this
problem ongoing since I switched to ogg.

This has been ongoing through various version of Rockbox over the last
couple of months, as I usually stay pretty much up to date, and rarely
more than a couple of weeks behind the daily builds at any time.

Symptoms are random freezes of the box when playing back. The only pattern
I can see is that the freeze invariably happens within the first 2 seconds
of a new song when playing a playlist. The unit requires a hard reset with
a paperclip to interrupt the freeze. After that, the same songs will
normally play back fine, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with
specific files.
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted