Subject: Re: iRiver H320 keeps turning off

Re: iRiver H320 keeps turning off

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 09:53:39 -0000 (UTC)

Scott Rumery wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought my girlfriend a used iRiver H320 from Ebay, and I have
> installed Rockbox on it. I have a current daily build on the unit, but I
> have noticed that whenever the units battery level gets down to about half
> charbed, the unit then shuts off. To me this seems like it may be a
> battery
> issue, but could it also be a failing hard drive? I am also blind. Would
> it be possible for a blind person to replace a battery or a hard drive in
> one of these units, and if I can figure out how to actually get inside the
> unit, where do I find a new battery for the H320, or a new hard drive for
> it? And if one installs a new hard drive into one of these players how
> do
> you go about installing the iRiver firmware on it so that you can start
> working with the drive?
> I hope that this all makes sense. I am not a newbie or anything,
> but I just have never gone on the inside of one of these players. I don't
> feel any screws on the backside of the unit, so how in the heck do you
> actually get on the inside if it?

What kind of playback time does the unit give from a fully-charged
battery? How long does it take to charge to full? If the answer to both
these questions is a couple of hours or a few minutes respectively, then
it does sound like your battery is failing.

I recently went through this, after a little over a year of use from my
340, so it is still fresh in my mind!

The best guide to the process is over at misticriver, at tis url:
http://www.misticriver.net/showpost.php?p=363259&postcount=118[B

The prrocess is quite fiddly, with lots of small parts to find and remove.
Although the description on the siet is excellent, I'm not sure it would
be easy without sight. Not trying to put anyone down at all, but I found
it quite tricky, and I wouldn't like to try it again with my eyes closed!
A couple of the screws to remove are quote well hidden, and removing the
battery is very fiddly in a confined space.

I had the added fiddliness of replacing with an ipod battery, which
additionally requires removal and swapping over the polarity of the 2
wires into the molex connector - I ended up pulling one of the wires off
the battery doing this, and had to solder it back on again! If you use a
batery designed for the river you won't have to go through this however.

In summary, none of it is actually too difficult, just fiddly and without
sight would be difficult sometimes to translate the photos and words in
the article into actually doing the step.

Have a read through the guide and see what you think about whether you are
up for the challenge or not!
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted