Subject: RE: FW: [users] Slow Monday -- No Bots?

RE: FW: [users] Slow Monday -- No Bots?

From: <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:20:37 +0000

Quoting Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Christopher Woods wrote:
>
>> - PLEASE obfuscate our email addresses when they appear on the web archives!
>
> Feel free to submit your patches for hypermail or additional front-end
> scripts.
>
> And do get a proper spam filter since spam is here for real and us
> changing the apparence of the archives will not cure this disease.
>
> (I get several thousand spams per day.)
>
> --
> Daniel Stenberg -- http://www.rockbox.org/ -- http://daniel.haxx.se/

I am fully aware spam is here to stay, but changing the appearance of
the archives imho WOULD make a difference, if only a small one - every
time a bot scrapes the pages, that's one more list our addresses are
on. Take away the email addresses and it won't "unring the bell" as
the person in the email is quoted as saying, but surely you agree it's
better to be proactive and try your best, whatever you can do, to curb
the further spread of personal addresses across the web?

The fact is that my email and webspace provider is fairly competent
and provides me with a very good service for what I pay; the fact
remains that as a site admin running a mailing list with a web
interface, to me it's just common sense to obfuscate email addresses.
It affects everyone, not just me, and as a responsible admin I would
do my best to help protect my list members' addresses from finding
their way into the public domain from a private list.

Just my opinion.

And in reference to the person who mentioned the obfuscated source -
for a fair while I've read about scrapers which can parse pages and
read them just like a regular browser would present the content to a
user, and bots which can parse and run in-page javascript to
deobfuscate addresses, so I think obfuscating addresses in the source
and having the browser show them in the clear via means of a script
onload is a false economy, because all the spambots can do that now too.