Subject: RE: FW: [users] Slow Monday -- No Bots?

RE: FW: [users] Slow Monday -- No Bots?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:51:57 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, christof_at_infinitus.co.uk wrote:

> I am fully aware spam is here to stay, but changing the appearance of the
> archives imho WOULD make a difference, if only a small one - every time a bot
> scrapes the pages, that's one more list our addresses are on.

Most bots won't get the addresses we show.

> Take away the email addresses and it won't "unring the bell" as the person
> in the email is quoted as saying, but surely you agree it's better to be
> proactive and try your best, whatever you can do, to curb the further spread
> of personal addresses across the web?

Then please provide the patch/script(s) I asked for and show me that you do
your best. It is always very easy to ask someone else to do their best and ask
them to stretch their efforts and time a little bit more.

> The fact is that my email and webspace provider is fairly competent and
> provides me with a very good service for what I pay; the fact remains that
> as a site admin running a mailing list with a web interface, to me it's just
> common sense to obfuscate email addresses.

They are obfuscated. Just not obfuscated enough to fool them all.

> It affects everyone, not just me, and as a responsible admin I would do my
> best to help protect my list members' addresses from finding their way into
> the public domain from a private list.

Then show me the code.