Subject: Re: Dictionary plugin

Re: Dictionary plugin

From: Tapio Kelloniemi <spammi.helevetti_at_nbl.fi>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:46:44 +0200

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 03:50:00PM +0100, desowin wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have imagination about rockbox Dictionary frontend (on computer)
>
> I think about writing an Qt4 app that'll be 'manager' of rockbox pluginDict.

Why QT4. Isn't command-line more portable? A QT4, GTK+, FLTK and perhaps other
interfaces are nice bonuses, but not essential.

> It'll have feature to convert dictionaries from other formats into rockbox
> dictionary format,

rbdictconv --from=FORMAT < FILE1 > FILE2

> copy dictionaries to player.

cp FILE2 /media/player/.rockbox/dicts

> I'm not sure if it would be better to add such feature into current rbutil.

Yes, if graphics are absolutely needed, it is better to add to rbutil, but
the conversion tool should be a command-line utility.

And why command-line? Because GUI apps cannot be automated. How does one
automatically regenerate one's rockbox dictionary files every time the
original dict files are updated, if the app is graphical? Also cmdline
tools are more accessible, and some people just don't want to install
extra GUI toolkit libraries.

--
Tapio