Subject: Re: Menus don't speak during paused playback

Re: Menus don't speak during paused playback

From: Michael Sevakis <jethead71_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:38:57 -0500

Last big note in here:

1) 32 bit because of the internal multiply accumulate operations , greater
efficiency working with longword data on the cpus and also the fact that
most codecs - it may be all but speex now - output > 16 bits, some codecs
can avoid extra downscaling before sending to dsp, etc. etc. I may except
this for voice and just store its channel in 16 bits and scale up when
processing and mixing. If I kill the voice thread and have a special
dedicated voice codec (NOT in the core)then I'll just have it output 16 bit
samples. Really processing 16 bit samples with 32 bit code should work, they
just need different scaling later.

2) Latency will never be allowed to increase. :) Latency means something
totally different here.

3) I desire codec switching in this and have no wish to ever remove it and I
don't see much advantage to doing so.

Super-simplified ASCII diagram (Use fixed font):

Codec1 a)
>-------|Ded. Lead Buf|--|Main Mem Pool|------------|b)DSP|---+
Codec2 a) |
>-------|Ded. Lead Buf|--|Main Mem Pool|------------|b)DSP|---+-----+
Voice d)
|b)Sum|--|c)DMA Buf|--|hw|
>-------|Truncate|-|Ded. Lead Buf|--|Main Mem Pool|-|b)DSP|---+-----+
Beep e) |
>----------------------------------------|b)Beep Generator|---+

a) Crossfade involves nothing more than alternating codec channels and
applying envelopes. Fading in advance won't save us from this. Voice can
operate with downstream resampling though. Main mem pool must be large
enough to hold entire fade. 96kHz stereo audio, 32-bit, 7-second fade needs
5,376,000 bytes + links.

b) Thread operates these and returns memory to pool after sending to DMA. If
a limiter can operate here when mixing, then all channels can be mixed full
volume. Really only a concern for voice/beep. Fade in/out will operate here
too- no more volume control hack. Some early premix before doing certain
operations like crossfeed would keep load lighter:

|Resample|--|Gain|-+ Codecs
                   +---|Crossfeed|-|Channel Modes|-+-|Tone|-|Eq|-+->DMA
|Resample|--|Gain|-+ | |

* We'd better have any eq wrap problems fixed here.

c) Simple dumb queue with a 100ms latency or however small can be gotten
away with. We never stop or pause this. It runs to empty always but won't
matter because of the small delay.

d) Supplied by codec thread

e) Virtual channel

Suppose I'll post this stuff on said page when I get it all together in
detail.